Poisonous Plants of South Africa
Authors: Ben-Erik van Wyk, Fanie van Heerden, Bosch van Oudtshoorn
Extent: 288 pages
Format: 240 x 168 mm
Hard cover, full colour photographs, distribution maps
About the book:
Poisonous Plants of South Africa is a comprehensive guide to the most commonly occurring poisonous plants in South Africa.
The book includes:
- Detailed species descriptions of 135 poisonous plants. Each entry includes the following information: a description of the plant, the type of toxin, the potential toxicity of the plant and its importance in human or livestock poisoning, the poisonous ingredients and their pharmacological effects.
- Distribution maps for poisonous plants that occur naturally in the wild.
- More than 450 excellent full-colour photographs that will assist in the identification of poisonous plants and plant parts.
- Introductory chapters on human and animal poisoning in South Africa, first aid treatment, methods of testing for toxicity, extraction and isolation of toxins and poisonous principles and their effects.
- Plant lists according to class of toxin and type of livestock poisoning as well as a useful checklist of poisonous plants and a glossary of medical terms.